EXAM PREPARATIONS for PTEPTE
What is PTE?
The Pearson Test of English (PTE) is widely accepted as a diagnostic for English proficiency in both academic and professional settings. PTE is trusted by universities, colleges and governments around the world. The exam is available in 2 formats: the PTE Academic Exam and the PTE General Exam.
PTE Academic is for non-native English speakers wanting to pursue further studies in or migrate to an English-speaking country. Students who want to study in English-speaking countries like the UK, USA, Canada and Australia usually take the PTE Academic test. Additionally, people who want a visa from Australia or New Zealand for work or immigration purposes also apply.
In contrast, applicants who want to measure their English language proficiency take PTE General. It helps them identify their weaknesses, track progress, and improve their skills over time.
PTE Academic is a computer-based, 3-hour long test split into 3 sections: Speaking and Writing (administered together), Listening, and Reading. Additionally, an optional 10-minute break is provided between the Reading and Listening sections depending on the student’s need. Below is a breakdown of the time and tasks involved in each section:
1. Speaking & Writing
- Time Allotted: 77-93 minutes.
- Tasks Given: Describe various prompts verbally and in writing, 20 minutes essay writing.
- Skills Tested: Conversation, Grammar, Summarization, Writing Composition.
- Time Allotted: 32-40 minutes.
- Tasks Given: Read passages of varying length and respond to corresponding assignments, including multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and re-ordering paragraph questions.
- Skills Tested: Reading Comprehension.
- Time Allotted: 45-57 minutes.
- Tasks Given: Listen to audio of spoken English text and respond to corresponding questions, including multiple choice, select the missing word, fill-in-the-blank, and highlighting correct of incorrect word questions.
- Skills Tested: Listening, Summarization.
The PTE Academic Exam is administered year-round at approved testing centers. Scores are given on a scale of 10-90. A score in the range of 50-65 is considered competent and will be acceptable for many immigration or university admission requirements. However, high-tier colleges and universities will expect a score in the range of 65-75 or higher.
The test is assessed through AI (artificial intelligence), which makes it more fair and convenient. Apart from examining your Writing, Speaking, Listening and Reading skills, PTE also assesses your Enabling skills including Grammar, Oral Fluency, Pronunciation, Spelling, Vocabulary, and Written Discourse.
Results come in a very short period of just 48-72 hours.
CENTRES AND FEES
In India, there are a total 23 cities where the examination can be taken including major cities like Pune, New Delhi, Noida, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai, Kolkata, Surat, and others.
For identification, you must provide an authentic document, most likely your passport.
The PTE Academic is valid for a period of two years, while the PTE General has a lifetime validity.
You can register for the exam from the official PTE website.
The Pearson Test of English is accepted by 6,000 academic institutions across the globe and by Australia and New Zealand for visa purposes